Formed in 2003 Environment Systems is an established global consultancy with a valued reputation using our recognised expertise in data analysis – specifically geoinformatics and earth observation.
Our unique ability to bridge the gap between scientific research and everyday operations allows us to offer our clients invaluable insights into the latest technological advancements and cutting-edge ideas, all while providing the necessary evidence to tackle the challenges of our time.
Steve is a founder and Director of Environment Systems, he has over twenty years experience in applying GIS and remote sensing technologies to environmental and agricultural applications.
Steve has worked on projects across the UK and globally at a range of scales for mapping, monitoring and modelling.
Steve is a Chartered Geographer (GIS) and a Fellow of the Royal Geographical Society.
Graeme is a founder and Director of Environment Systems with over twenty years experience in the geographic information industry with a background in the building design and construction management sector.
Graeme has overall responsibility of resourcing across the full range of Environment Systems’ projects and general company administration.
Dr Katie Medcalf
Katie is Environment Director at Environment Systems and has over twenty years of experience in delivering successful projects in environmental policy, agri-environment, ecology, GIS and remote sensing.
An ecologist by training, Katie is highly creative and leads the company’s innovation in environmental research and provides expert input across a range of projects.
Katie is a Chartered Environmentalist and member of the Institute of Ecology and Environmental Management and the British Ecological Society.
For general enquiries please call +44 (0)1970 626688 or use our online form.
- Aberystwyth Office:
Environment Systems Ltd
9 Cefn Llan Science Park
+44 (0)1970 626688 View on Google Maps
- Harwell Office:
OX11 0QR View on Google Maps
- Edinburgh Office:
The Bays Centre
University of Edinburgh
EH8 9BT View on Google Maps
Environment Systems is affiliated with and its staff are members of a number of important societies and professional bodies:
- AGI – The Association for Geographic Information
- BARSC – The British Association of Remote Sensing Companies
- BCS – The Chartered Institute for IT
- BSBI – The Botanical Society of Britain and Ireland
- BES British Ecological Society
- CIEEM – Chartered Institute of Ecology and Environmental Management
- ECSA – European Citizen Science Association
- EKN – Ecosystems Knowledge Network
- GODAN – Global Open Data for Agriculture and Nutrition
- IEMA – Institute of Environmental Management and Assessment
- IES – The Institution of Environmental Sciences
- NCC – The Natural Capital Coalition
- ODI – Open Data Institute
- PMI – Project Management Institute
- RGS – Royal Geographical Society (with the Institute of British Geographers)
- RSPSoc – Remote Sensing and Photogrammetry Society
- Space Wales
- SARIC – Sustainable Agriculture Research & Innovation Club
- 08-06-2023Summary Climate change is already causing problems for coffee production in Colombia. Land suitability modelling can identify climate vulnerable farming areas for targeted mitigation. Outcomes Areas of coffee growing regions that are most susceptible to …
- 21-02-2023Context Requirement for a detailed habitat map To monitor change and plan mitigation To ensure sustainable future management Outcomes Object based analysis of satellite imagery Ecological rules based approach Verification and adjustment via targeted ground …
- 14-09-2020Feeding the World…sustainably With the world’s population projected to grow to approximately 10.9 billion by 2100 and with the recent COVID-19 pandemic, the world’s food system is under increasing pressure. We need to plan to feed more people …
- 20-02-2020Environment Systems has developed new methods for modelling and mapping Ecosystem Services at regional and national scales. Here are some of our case studies and projects: Environment Systems was commissioned to use the ‘Norfolk Living Map’ to undertake a …
- 20-02-2020Monitoring is an important part of assessing the effectiveness of any land management intervention or policy objective. Environment Systems has helped design and implement a wide range of informative, successful monitoring programmes. Here are a few: …
Appraisal – Wales
Nightjar radio tracking
Flood risk management
Biodiversity for Bristol
West of England
Strategy for Highways
Wind Farm Development
UAV Field Trials
Climate change futures
Careers and Short-term Vacancies
As a leading edge consultancy we are always on the look out for talent. We are specifically on the look out for technical, commercial and project management skills in the associated areas:
- Environmental science
- Landscape ecology
- Ecosystem services
- Data science
- Remote sensing
- Image processing and classification
- Data fusion
- Citizen science
- Geospatial software development
If you match up please feel free to send your CV to: [email protected].
Environment Systems recognises the value of research and development for commercial application. The Company is an active participant in a number of prestigious national and international research projects and runs its own internal research programmes. Environment Systems actively supports a number of academic institutions with collaborative projects contributing towards their Research Excellence Framework submissions. It also sponsors MSc, MPhil and PhD placements and serves on several scientific advisory panels.
Quality and Environmental Management
- BS EN ISO 9001:2015
Environment Systems operates a Quality Management System that has gained BS EN ISO 9001:2015 certification (certificate number GB2002898), including aspects specific to the provision of geographic and environmental information, consultancy and services.
- BS 8555
Environment Systems has an Environment Management System (EMS) which is accredited to BS8555:2016 Phase 2. An EMS serves as a tool to improve environmental performance and provides a framework for how that performance can be monitored, controlled and improved.
- Environment Systems is focused on:
- Reducing our CO2 emissions
- Reducing car usage with fewer domestic flights and more zoom meetings where possible
- Keeping general waste under 10% of our total waste (General, Recycling, & Food)
- Creating a new baseline indicator for a reduced office desk hoteling environment for waste and utilities
Cyber Essentials is a Government backed scheme that has helped Environment Systems implement protection against cyber attack. The accreditation we now have demonstrates that we take cyber security seriously.
The accreditation assessment focuses on five basic security controls which when properly implemented, help to protect against internet-based attackers.