Formed in 2003 Environment Systems has come a long way, in a relatively short time, to become an established consultancy with a valued reputation using our recognised expertise in data analysis – specifically geoinformatics and earth observation.
Our ability to operate at the interface of science and routine operations enables us to give our customers insight into the latest technology and thinking whilst delivering the evidence required to address today’s challenges.
Environment Systems works throughout the world.
Our vision is to be the leading supplier of evidence and insight. We will do this by becoming the leading research-led, environmental and agricultural information consultancy and services company.
Steve is a founder and Director of Environment Systems, he has over twenty years experience in applying GIS and remote sensing technologies to environmental and agricultural applications.
Steve has worked on projects across the UK and globally at a range of scales for mapping, monitoring and modelling.
Steve is a Chartered Geographer (GIS) and a Fellow of the Royal Geographical Society.
Graeme is a founder and Director of Environment Systems with over twenty years experience in the geographic information industry with a background in the building design and construction management sector.
Graeme has overall responsibility of resourcing across the full range of Environment Systems’ projects and general company administration.
Dr Katie Medcalf
Katie is Environment Director at Environment Systems and has over twenty years of experience in delivering successful projects in environmental policy, agri-environment, ecology, GIS and remote sensing.
An ecologist by training, Katie is highly creative and leads the company’s innovation in environmental research and provides expert input across a range of projects.
Katie is a Chartered Environmentalist and member of the Institute of Ecology and Environmental Management and the British Ecological Society.
For general enquiries please call +44 (0)1970 626688 or use our online form.
- Aberystwyth Office:
Environment Systems Ltd
9 Cefn Llan Science Park
+44 (0)1970 626688 View on Google Maps
- Harwell Office:
OX11 0QR View on Google Maps
Environment Systems is affiliated with and its staff are members of a number of important societies and professional bodies:
- AGI – The Association for Geographic Information
- BARSC – The British Association of Remote Sensing Companies
- BCS – The Chartered Institute for IT
- BSBI – The Botanical Society of Britain and Ireland
- BES British Ecological Society
- CIEEM – Chartered Institute of Ecology and Environmental Management
- ECSA – European Citizen Science Association
- EKN – Ecosystems Knowledge Network
- GODAN – Global Open Data for Agriculture and Nutrition
- IEMA – Institute of Environmental Management and Assessment
- IES – The Institution of Environmental Sciences
- NCC – The Natural Capital Coalition
- ODI – Open Data Institute
- PMI – Project Management Institute
- RGS – Royal Geographical Society (with the Institute of British Geographers)
- RSPSoc – Remote Sensing and Photogrammetry Society
- SARIC – Sustainable Agriculture Research & Innovation Club
Appraisal – Wales
Nightjar radio tracking
Flood risk management
Biodiversity for Bristol
West of England
Strategy for Highways
Wind Farm Development
We currently have a vacancy for a Front-end Developer.
As a leading edge consultancy we are always on the look out for talent. We are specifically on the look out for technical, commercial and project management skills in the associated areas:
- Environmental science
- Landscape ecology
- Ecosystem services
- Data science
- Remote sensing
- Image processing and classification
- Data fusion
- Citizen science
- Geospatial software development
If you match up please feel free to send your CV to: [email protected].
We are always on the lookout for talented Software Developers. Find out more.
Environment Systems recognises the value of research and development for commercial application. The Company is an active participant in a number of prestigious national and international research projects and runs its own internal research programmes. Environment Systems actively supports a number of academic institutions with collaborative projects contributing towards their Research Excellence Framework submissions. It also sponsors MSc, MPhil and PhD placements and serves on several scientific advisory panels.
Quality and Environmental Management
- BS EN ISO 9001:2000
Environment Systems operates a Quality Management System that has gained BS EN ISO 9001:2000 certification (certificate number GB2002898), including aspects specific to the provision of geographic and environmental information, consultancy and services.
- BS 8555
Environment Systems has an Environment Management System (EMS) which is accredited to BS8555:2003 Phase 2. An EMS serves as a tool to improve environmental performance and provides a framework for how that performance can be monitored, controlled and improved.
- In 2018/19 Environment Systems has made significant strides by:
- Reducing the number of flights and increasing our use of public transport
- Reducing our CO2 by 16%, (13,400 kg of carbon)
- Monitoring our utility meters to stop wastage
- Stabilising our consumption of electricity
- Cutting our consumption of gas for heating
- Reducing the amount we sent to landfill by 23%
Cyber Essentials is a Government backed scheme that has helped Environment Systems implement protection against cyber attack. The accreditation we now have demonstrates that we take cyber security seriously.
The accreditation assessment focuses on five basic security controls which when properly implemented, help to protect against internet-based attackers.